A Hawaii transplant living it up on the East Coast for the past 14 years (Boston and Stamford, CT). I write about food, books, adventures in CT and NYC, products I love, the oxford comma, and my current journey of trying to go from lazy sack of potatoes to marathon runner. But mostly I write about food. Feel free to email me at email@example.com.
May 21, 2013
My friend just taught me how to tag a person in Instagram pics and I was so excited to try it out on all my old pics… until I realized that I still only take pictures of my cats, food, and myself.
May 16, 2013
Phew! The quarter from hell officially ended a couple weeks ago and since then I’ve just been trying to get my life back together with frivolous things like doing laundry, sleeping, and showering*.
*Not even a joke. I seriously need to learn to control what I say as evidenced by a conversation between me and a colleague that spent the past quarter in India, leaving the best times for us to call each other to discuss the exciting world of accounting to be when he got into work (about 11 PM my time) and then again when I would get into work in the morning (about 4:30 AM my time).
Him: I don’t even know how you are pulling these hours. God, you must just go home, sleep and shower and come back and do it again.
Me: Oh, I don’t shower - that would cut into my sleep.
Him: Oh….. (crickets)
Lovely friend K - also in India at the time: Hey Sonja…. by the way you are on speakerphone.
But I’m getting so very off track from the point of the most boring post ever which is to catch you up on the completely non-exciting life I’ve led since I went AWOL a month ago, so here we go:
- - Planned a trip to Vegas and Disneyland to see the in-laws and the mouse next month. My plans mostly surround eating. Stay tuned.
- - Feel like I’m in a long-distance relationship since as soon as my work hours lessened to the point where I actually saw Ryan awake he got sick and moved into the guest bedroom in order to not get me sick…. which I thought was a little extreme until we ended up at the urgent care center last weekend and found out that he has pneumonia.
- - Yes, pneumonia.
- - And now I’m sick. Not pneumonia sick. Just annoying sick. Damn you cold!
- - Became the proud owner of the most wonderful Maxi dress, thanks to Stitch Fix. I had never found a maxi dress that didn’t make me look fat and actually covered my ankles. Win!
(Photo courtesy of http://www.marisavhp.com/ because my own dress is lying on a heap on the floor somewhere)
- - Ordered a 3 week food delivery program with Zone Manhattan despite reading horrendous reviews. Realized the reviews were right less than an hour into the program on Day 1. Quit by Day 2. Worst company ever.
- - Went to a bachelorette party that started with cooking lessons at Sur La Table. The class was wonderful (and BYOB!) but taught us how to make both pasta and chocolate pudding from scratch. Um… why?! That’s what barilla (or at the very least a farmer’s market) and jello puddings are for.
- - Ended the bachelorette party at a burlesque show where I realized that I literally FELL ASLEEP while standing at a table because when I reopened my eyes there would be a different girl’s naked boobs dancing in front of me. Lesson: I am old.
- - Celebrated my good friend’s big 3-0 with yummy Mexican food and delicious drinks in West Hartford. It’s a super adorable town. Also, continued to eat Mexican food for the next three days.
- - Said newly 3-0 friend can no longer access my blog from her work any more because it comes up as a porn site. Monetize time?
- - Got tickets through Ryan’s work to attend w!se Chef’s Night, a fantastic event that benefited “financial literacy for underprivileged children” with casino games, silent auctions, live auctions and FOOD from all over. The food was amazing. And the alcohol was free and free-flowing.
- - Last November, after being depressed over always being around so much negativity when I’d go out, I ended the relationships that caused that. Not with a big dramatic exit, but by coming up with excuses of why I could never meet up. Fast forward six months and I figured I was being too harsh and accepted the next happy hour invitation that came along. Worst decision ever! Turns out my first instincts were MUCH better. It took me two days to get out of the depressing slump that one night put me into. NO. THANK YOU.
- - That bachelorette party I mentioned earlier… the wedding is tomorrow afternoon. I don’t have a dress. Or anything resembling wedding attire that 1) fits and 2) is clean. So my alarm will be going off early tomorrow so I can drag my butt around town to find a dress… and shoes… and accessories… oh good lord.
- - Speaking of clothes, you know what’s awesome? Loving your husband’s sweatpants so much you buy one for yourself. What’s less awesome than that? Not paying attention to what Ryan is wearing and leaving the house looking like cheesetastic twins.
- - So why did I kill myself with crazy hours to the point of making myself sick? Because at the end of it all I was rewarded with a new job that I was after. It’s more work and more stress for…. the same title and same salary.
- - But at least my children are still the cutest! And do yoga!
May 9, 2013
April 25, 2013
April 19, 2013
Due to pretty much every ridiculous scenario you could possibly come up with, my team at work which was 13-people strong a year ago is currently operating with 5 people during our first mini busy-season, So previously typical 9 PM nights have turned into 4 AM
nightsmornings, something I haven’t had to do in the past two years - but it’s pretty much like riding a bike, you never forget. For me, copious amounts of caffeine and blasting Broadway songs are the way to go.
But the biggest problem with these late hours? My needy-as-hell tamagotchi (for those of you that are blissfully unaware, it’s now an iPhone app). I’m sorry you are hungry for a meal, I had girl scout cookies for dinner. Oh, you aren’t happy? Screw you - I just watched you sleep for 10 hours. Jerk.
My co-workers were bemoaning the fact that they haven’t seen their kids awake in 4 days. I opened my mouth to explain my big issue, but decided maybe they wouldn’t really understand.
My friend texted to me ask if I wanted to do a 5K with her. She said she facebooked me about it earlier but figured I was too busy these days to go on Facebook. Damn right I’m too busy, Little Kuchitamatchi can’t even have poop next to him without getting sick.
April 17, 2013
I never thought I would think about the Yankees with love in my heart, but there you have it. Yankees, a world class act.
I love you Boston!
April 16, 2013
Just the same as in prior years, as tax day loomed closer throughout the last week, well meaning friends and family sent antidotes or well wishes relating to how I can finally come up for air because my busy season is over. That’s great and all except, I AM NOT A TAX ACCOUNTANT. I do my own taxes once a year with the help of H&R Block. And only because it’s not too difficult. The first year I did Ryan’s taxes he was self-employed. I told him never again. If he wants to become self-employed again, he’s finding us a tax accountant.
But I’m going of topic (as per usual), because this situation led me to what I considered the greatest post idea ever! I would teach everyone what it is I do in an exhilarating and hilarious way because really, us accountants, we are crazy funny. It was such a good idea that I got to work right away writing and re-writing my humorous bullet point ideas. Put a zinger about a consolidated balance sheet here. Add an anecdote of mistaking a debit for a credit there. It couldn’t lose. Except that you all can clearly already see what took me an hour to realize. It sucked. The entire thing sucked. I don’t think I’ve every written anything so bad in my life. And I’ve written a lot of crap (don’t all nod at once now!).
I wasn’t ready to give up. I tried to google ideas of funny ways to teach accounting. Can you believe I couldn’t find any? I was shocked. And so finally I realized it was time to throw in the towel and bemoan the world’s loss at reading the greatest piece of writing of our times. It could have been epic!
And with that, I will finish off this completely pointless post with a pick up line I found while searching for that holy grail of funny accounting lessons: Wanna sneak out behind the “hedge” and play with my “financial instrument?”
April 13, 2013
How did I not know this was a thing?!!!
Maybe Kristin Chenoweth is right and Bradley Cooper will be making Hangover 4.