A Hawaii transplant living it up on the East Coast for the past 15 years (Boston and Stamford, CT). I write about food, books, adventures in CT and NYC, products I love, the oxford comma, and my current project of growing a baby girl. But mostly I write about food... and my growing belly. Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
September 29, 2014
First day back at work and experiencing pumping while on a conference call.
Also… could not figure out how to lock the “nursing mother’s office” (read: phone booth) so this might get awkward…
September 27, 2014
She probably should be sleeping in her crib but in honor of heading back to work on Monday I am soaking up as much cuddle time as I can this weekend.
Happy 3-month birthday gorgeous girl!
This is you in a nutshell:
-You were 12 lbs 6 oz and 24 inches at your 2.5 month doctor’s visit.
-You are obsessed with your activity mat. Specifically the butterflies on your activity mat. They don’t move (without someone manually twirling them) or make noise or light up but they bring a smile to your face (and sometimes even laughter) more than anything else can (including your parents).
-Speaking of laughter. You laugh from time to time. Once it was a real laugh. But mostly it sounds like you are choking to death. Please work on changing that. It’s very terrifying.
-You are being dressed in 6 month footed onesies. They are a little big but you are much too tall for the 0-3 month old ones. Speaking of which, once we accidentally put you in 9 month footed onesies and were scared by how well they fit you.
-You enjoy our dance party mornings (and evenings) and (unfortunately) prefer the soundtrack to your dad’s favorite musical (Rent) over your mom’s (Wicked). Out Tonight is your favorite.
-You sing with me. I think…. I sing and you babble. I stop singing so we can have a “conversation” and you stop as well. Once I start up, you go back to your “singing”.
-You aren’t a fan of the sun. Good for your skin, bad for our future dreams of moving back to Hawaii.
-You are a fan of Hawaiian music, Taylor Swift videos and going with dad to take out the trash each night to the dumpster down the street (to each her own).
-You hate tummy time. But hate it less now than before.
-You hate bows on your head. You hate hats on your head. Really you just hate anything on your head. Mom is working on changing that.
-You aren’t quite sure what to make of the cats. So you try to go with ignoring them.
-Your favorite toys are your hands. You are currently working on stuffing your entire fist in your mouth.
-Throughout your three months your favorite things have been Aden + Anais Muslin Swaddle Blankets and WubbaNub Pacifiers. Both times you have moved on from being obsessed with these items right around the time I caved and bought you more of the same items from Amazon.
-You have changed from sleeping all swaddled up to sleeping in a Mel Gibson-Braveheart-pose in a sleep sack.
-You smile all the time in the mornings but refuse to smile for the camera.
-You are not all smiles in the evening HOWEVER you just slept through the night. Again. The last time I said that on here you stopped after a week. Fingers crossed that I didn’t just jinx it.
-Your favorite book is The Lorax. Much smaller books will cause you to cry but when it comes to the Lorax, you settle in to be read to.
-But most important of all, you are so so so so so loved you crazy girl.
September 26, 2014
More write up on the game (even though you were sick of this about 10 posts ago)
- Reblogging my 2009 self in honor of Derek Jeter. That being said, Go Red Sox (this season not withstanding)....
- Me:go Jeter!
- Ryan:(angry glare)
- Me:are you irritated because I am cheering for a guy I think is hot or because I'm cheering for a Yankee?
- Ryan:a Yankee.
- (Jeter out on first)
- Me:see that's all I wanted. To watch him run but not score.
I have great intentions and horrible follow throughs. I found this bib stashed in our attic. It’s from the Mall of America, which I visited in 2003. Right around the time when my cousin gave birth to an adorable baby girl.
Considering the last time I saw her we had a lengthy discussion about whether the zombie apocalypse was going to happen I figured she didn’t need a bib anymore.
I also found superman toys that I bought for another one of my cousin’s kids. A kid who is now playing football for his high school. I really have to get more timely on things!
September 24, 2014
In the War on Terror (of bugs) the score is:
Sonja - 25,398 v Bugs - 0
Just kicking ass and taking names over here. In other news, for the first time in… well…. forever… I can’t wait for it to be winter so any remaining bugs go into hiding.
September 20, 2014
In today’s chapter of Sonja-finds-random-crap-while-cleaning-out-the-house I give you: Sonja’s Resolutions circa 2010…. I think… one of my goals referenced being 130 lbs by my bro-in-laws wedding in 2010. (Note: I definitely broke that resolution.)
But weight resolutions are boring. Here are my more favorite items:
- Cut down on sauce intake. (Hahaha this should still be on there… I love me some sauces. I eat steak just so I can have steak sauce.)
- Do not look at computer before bed, it impedes melatonin levels. (But that’s when I catch up on Tumblr….)
- Stay on Nutrisystem until ALL food is gone (Ewww Nutrisystem is gross - I cancelled that crap.)
- Finish painting bathroom by year-end. (So that one is still open…)
-Read 1 quality book every 2 weeks. (Not sure what “good quality” means…. but pretty sure I read the Twilight series around that time.)
- Teach kittehs their name by year-end. (Youz guyz, I’m seriously proud of this one. Sushi and Sox were over two years old before they learned their names and I had been worried they never would learn them. Spam knew his within the first month).
- Bathe cats quarterly. (Bwahahahaha. What was I smoking? I would be dead. Like Red Wedding dead!)
- Wear dresses more. (I have NO idea what this was about but ever since I got pregnant I’ve been anti pants so its all the dresses all the time over here.)
September 18, 2014
I’ve noticed my mom, Ryan, and I all have very different things that we do repeatedly with Emma (and can I say thank god my mom’s repertoire includes tummy time because OMG with the screaming). Meanwhile, Ryan’s biggest teaching plan includes “pet Spam.” Each day he brings our friendliest furball over and teaches Emma to pet him. It has resulted in Spam adoring Emma. Emma seems plus/minus on Spam and doesn’t even acknowledge the other two.
The other day I came downstairs with Emma and saw all three furballs on the couch together. I knew it was a long shot but if I could plop Emma into the mix…. best photo ever! Of course it didn’t work. The second I put Emma down, Sushi and Sox bolted. But Spam trotted up to her and my jaw nearly hit the floor when she reached out to pet him*.
*I mean her fist remained closed and her hand pretty much just hovered in the air next to his head but still!
Shit (read: work) just got real
- My doctor told me she wants to see me again in 2 weeks, meaning I have to schedule my appointment around the workday*. Gulp! Cannot believe I'm going back to work in 11 days. Noooooo.
- *My work blackberry had been dead since June and I haven't checked my office email in weeks so um yeah.... No idea what my schedule will be. Gonna just have to schedule my work around the doctors...
September 17, 2014
I follow “Child of the 80s” on facebook so I can see pictures like these and get all nostalgic.
When I was a little kid my cousin (who is 13 years older than me) dated the manager of a Hawaii McDonald’s. He would always give me the entire set of Happy Meal toys as a present when they would babysit me. I was so sad when they broke up.